Monday, June 25, 2012

Jake Rocks.

Two weeks ago, I had the opportunity to attend Be The Person 2012 in Chicago on behalf of Kappa Kappa Gamma, an organization dedicated to empowering women throughout their lives.  The event encouraged participants to not just talk about changing the world, but to actually go out and do it.  

The conference allowed us to explore the streets of Chicago.  On the last morning of the event, our final challenge was to chalk the town, spreading messages of love and inspiration.  We were each handed two pieces of chalk and sent off for two hours.  


Well, about thirty minutes in I was down to my last 1/2 stick of orange chalk.  I had struggled with my messages that morning, even telling a friend I wasn't feeling very inspirational.  It had been an intense conference and I was feeling a bit drained.




I was chalking, "Have a fabulous day!" on a street corner in front of a community garden when one of the facilitators called three of us over to the garden fence.  An older gentleman was standing there with his bike, the basket filled to the brim with gardening tools.  The gentleman asked if we would be willing to chalk inside the garden.


Of course!  I mean, that was the point of the conference, right?  Little did I know I know I was about to learn what it truly means to be the person for somebody else.




We met Lenny at the entrance to the garden.  He led us past well-kept orderly garden beds to one that had already caught my eye.  The garden was full of growing tomato and basil plants.  A sign stood proudly at one end, decorated with small American flags, proclaiming this was Jake's Garden.



Lenny explained to us that he had received this plot of land as a donation.  As you may have guessed, it had been Jake's Garden.  Jake was seven when he passed away from complications of a brain tumor.  Lenny felt compelled to create a garden that would honor Jake and the sunshine he brought to the community.  On the wooden garden bed, we chalked  "Jake Rocks," his slogan as he bravely battled cancer.




It was the most amazing moment to be able to give of ourselves in such a little way.  To chalk a few words, a couple suns and hearts.  But it moved Lenny to tears.



We took a group picture and through the convenience of modern technology, I emailed it to Lenny right away.  He told me he wanted to share the photo with Jake's parents and the local schools. I don't know if that will happen, but I do know that for five minutes, the six of us mattered.


Check out the first 52 seconds of the video below for my on-the-spot interview about Jake's Garden.



No comments:

Post a Comment