Monday, June 27, 2011

True Leadership.

Last week, First Lady Michelle Obama addressed
the Young African Women Leaders Forum in South Africa. Her words inspire young girls all over the world. No matter how old you are, or where you live, or what you ate for breakfast, you too can be a leader. Are you up to the challenge?
"I want to pause for a moment on that word - leadership - because I know that so often, when we think about what that word means, what it means to be a leader, we think of presidents and prime ministers. We think of people who pass laws or command armies, run big businesses, people with fancy titles, big salaries.
And most young people don't fit that image. And I know that often when you try to make your voices heard, sometimes people don't always listen. I know there are those who discount your, opinions, who tell you you're not ready who say that you should sit back and wait your turn.
But I am here today because when it comes to the challenges we face, we simply don't have time to sit back and wait.
I'm here because I believe that each of you is ready, right here and right now, to start meeting these challenges.
And I am here because I know that true leadership - leadership that lifts families, leadership that sustains communities and transform nations - that kind of leadership rarely starts in palaces or parliaments.
That kind of leadership is not limited only to those of a certain age or status. And that kind of leadership is not just about dramatic events that change the course of history in an instant.
Instead, true leadership often happens with the smallest acts, in the most unexpected places, by the most unlikely individuals."

Read more of the First Lady's remarks here.

No comments:

Post a Comment