Wednesday, July 13, 2011

A Run for Glory.

When I was three, my parents signed me up for dance lessons. For the next three years, I attempted to tap, sashay, and twirl my way into being a successful dancer. However, I was not a graceful child. Dance was not my calling.

When I turned five, my parents introduced me to the game of soccer. One game was all it took. I walked off the field with a grass-stained uniform, a scraped knee and a big smile on my face. Soccer was in; dance was out.

Fast forward to 1999. I was 13 and living and breathing soccer by then. That year, Mia Hamm and the U.S. Women's National team won the World Cup. Brandi Chastain quickly became a household name, along with the rest of her teammates. For me, it was a life-changing event. For the first time, I saw a team of women achieve their dreams and reach the highest level of success in their field. They were my heroes.

Here we are again. The American women are poised to do it again after beating Brazil in the quarter-finals and France in the semi-finals. They are inspiring, battling through to the last minute of play. I have had goose-bumps watching the games. The women play with intensity and leave everything out on the field. They set a goal and have worked hard to achieve it. And through it all, they have believed in each other.


I have no doubt that there are many young soccer players who are watching these women make a run for glory in 2011. I hope they are as inspired as I was back in 1999. I hope this team led by Abby Wambach and Hope Solo become household names and continue to inspire young girls everywhere. Until then, I will be anxiously awaiting the championship game on Sunday.


Who were your sports heroes growing up and why?

No comments:

Post a Comment